Tuesday 24 April 2012

Mystery Quilt Weekend Away

Driving for 3 hours - no kids, beautiful landscape and my music (Gladiator soundtrack, Margaret Becker and Brooke Frazer) in the cd player - made for an inspiring start to my weekend away in Coffs Harbour. I was also blessed to meet my bloggy buddy Kristy from Quilt Club Australia and Quiet Play. I was able to stay overnight with her and meet her two fabulous and sweet kids.
Kristy chatted to the the other 2 ladies at our worktable about blogging and QCA
We met up outside the well-stocked Hunters and Collectors Store in Coffs. Class started without much  mucking around. I needed a cup of tea after my drive but the other 5 local ladies leapt into the first clue with vigour. 
the pattern called for strips NOT squares!
Whilst nibbling and sipping away I realised that I had (to my horror) mis-read the fabric requirement instructions and cut mine into squares rather than width of fabric strips! I wondered why I had so much fabric leftover from the meters I was asked to get! Gah!  
So instead of being in step with the other ladies - I was now behind! and I had to cut strips for the first 20 minutes. I was short on two of the fabrics as well but managed to substitute from the other matching prints and solids that I, thankfully, packed along.


To be honest, apart from Kristy and I to eachother, there was not a lot of chit chat that first morning. I joked that we were all working like sweat shop ladies with our machines all whirring away. I even started to talk in a cockney accent - "Ooo shall have ta work through me lunch break to get me strips all sewn." I mean some of the women DID NOT even pause for food or drink! Thankfully Lisa, our teacher, had baked an awesome chocolate and nut brittle that I was  happy to much on. I needed lots of tea breaks!
slaving away
Lisa was a great facilitator and teacher for the weekend. (I even learned new ironing techniques from her). She gave us the next clue on a card as we completed each step. Thankfully Kristy and I were able to keep pace with each other for most of the weekend.
teacher of the Mystery Quilt Weekend - Lisa

So we were not really aware of what kind of quilt we would end up with. We had to use only 3 fabrics - dark or feature print/ contrast / and a light. As each lady sewed their clues, the pattern took on different features because of their fabric choices.


Kristy and I were not all out to completing a quilt top on the second day so we stopped at one quarter. 
We also did a little shopping in the store too. Such a lovely shop as quilt stores are pretty rare these days.


I bought some cottons, rick rack and linen. Very tempted to buy more. It's nice to see some of the pre-cuts and ranges up close rather than just an online snapshot.


Speaking of lovely fabric...check out this give-away happening at Kate's Facebook Store with Denyse Schmidt's 'Aunt Edna' FQs.






5 comments:

  1. Such a fun weekend! I thought your Cockney accent was hilarious! You got some lovely pics of the shop too!

    Can't wait to see how your quilt top finishes up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hunters & Collectors. I pop in every time I'm in Coffs. I would have been there with bells on if I knew fellow QCAers were going to be there. next time eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how different each one turned out!! SOunds like a fun thing to do! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Details on my blog :) Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great weekend. I have enjoyed following your blog for a while now. A few days ago I was given the Liebster Award and today I am please to pass it on to you. Please see my blog for complete details of the award.http://karenssewingroom.blogspot.com/2012/04/liebster-award.html

    Keep up the good work. Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often driven past this store too and wanted to go and have a look - even more so now!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.