Sunday 29 April 2012

Sunday Stash #11

Most of the projects in the Zakka Style Sew-Along involve using linen. I hadn't realised this early on and have just made do with linen-looking fabrics such as French General and also some offcuts of thick linen I picked up at an op-shop. 


Linen is my new favourite fabric to work with. I love the texture and grain. I also love it's versatility - goes with just about any cotton print and gives projects a clean fresh appeal.  You should see the lovely colours and variations being used in the ZSSA Flickr group.
I did however order some gorgeous Robert Kaufman - Essex linen from an Etsy store called Fresh Stash. Shop owner, Lisa, was kind enough to do me a custom listing of 2 yards of steel and 3 yards of natural for less than $7 per yard and fit it all in a $17US parcel. It arrived safely earlier this week and I cannot wait to use it in the next ZSSA project.


It's not easy to find linen blends here in Australian retail stores (couldn't even find a sniff at Spotlight) and smaller quilt stores are not cheap ($27 per meter), so heading into Esty stores is a great alternative.


Fresh Stash also sell Organic prints - my favourite is Daisy Janie's new 'Tilly' line.
photo courtesy of Fresh Stash Etsy Store
Earlier this week, the Daisy Janie Facebook page published some photos of a gorgeous quilt featuring this new line. 
photo courtesy of Daisy Janie Facebook Gallery
I think I am in love - but it is an expensive love. You will pay more than double the linen blends price for these organic prints. It's about now I wish I was a retailer and could order direct from the Daisy Janie store.
photo courtesy of Daisy Janie Facebook Gallery 
Anyway, I am keen to track down the quilt pattern above. It's a little different. I love how this table runner version is quilted too.
photo courtesy of Daisy Janie Facebook Gallery 




So what's new in your stash this week?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh your new linen stash looks so lovely! So much cheaper too! Can't wait to see what you create with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics. No much on my stash. I'm beginner so I mostly recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt and runner set! Ooo linen I really need to add some to my stash!
    I've been adding so much fabric to it you wouldn't believe! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the look of linen, and the ones you've picked look pretty. I have read that sewing with linen can be difficult. I can't wait to hear how you get along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Zakka Style-Along introduced me to linen and I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fiona -
    Thank you for your kind words and for posting about the "Salad Bar" quilt, too! It was designed by the lovely ladies at Modern Quilt Relish. You can buy the pattern on the Daisy Janie website: http://daisyjanie.com/item.php?item_id=265&category_id=59

    All the best
    Jan - Daisy Janie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.